Saturday, June 25, 2016

Saturday Snapshot 6/25: Camping in Maryland


Saturday Snapshot is hosted by West Metro Mommy Reads. 

Last weekend, with our sons off at Firefly (an outdoor music festival held each year here in Delaware) for 4 days, my husband and I got a much needed break with a weekend camping trip to the mountains of northern Maryland. We camped (and hiked) at Cunningham Falls State Park and then hiked on Sunday at Catoctin Mountain Park, located just across the street and part of the National Park system (Camp David is located within the park). It was a very relaxing weekend with perfect weather. Here are a few highlights:

Cunningham Falls

My husband and I at the falls.

Lots of huge rock outcroppings - our sons would love it!

My husband in between two more big rock outcroppings.

Hog Rock and the view of the surrounding valleys.

Relaxing by the campfire - with Kafka & Redbook! lol

A cathedral of trees on Hog Rock Trail in Catoctin Mtn Park


Hope you are enjoying a great weekend!

15 comments:

  1. I love it that you are relaxing by the campfire with Kafka and Redbook!

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2016/06/bookexpo-authors.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha - yeah, I realized that was a pretty funny combination!

      Delete
  2. This looks like a beautiful spot for a getaway. I love waterfalls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a terrific getaway. It's always nice to take a break from the kids. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are gradually dipping out toe into the empty nest life!

      Delete
  4. Your photos make me feel the fresh air all those trees are offering you. I also love that you brought along something to read and didn't think about the weight of carrying them. A true reader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Margot, I didn't carry anything anywhere! lol We weren't backpacking, just camping with our pop-up camper. I can barely manage a slow 1-mile hike now with my chronic illness - backpacking is a thing of the past. Which means I can bring as many books along as I like!

      Sue

      Delete
  5. Looks like you had fun! I love water bodies...

    http://readbookswritepoetry.blogspot.in/2016/06/saturday-snapshot-vacations-are-for_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the caption "Cathedral of Trees".
    Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I liked that one, too - it's just the way it felt.

      Delete
  7. I used to go camping a lot but haven't in many years. I've been trying to talk my kids and their families into going camping but I'm not having much luck yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are successful! It is so much fun - and so rejuvenating to get outside :) Our sons both love it - but now, at 18 and 21, they would rather go with their friends than with us!

      Delete
  8. What a great little getaway! We are planning a camping trip for next weekend, but the weather forecast is not looking so great, so I'm thinking I'll stay under cover and catch up on my reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been doing the same for this week, Melinda - watching the weather forecast each day & trying to decide. Only here, I'm more worried about the heat than rain! We are headed to Shenandoah so that helps - much cooler on top of the mountain! Hope you get to go soon!

      Delete