Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Books Read in April

Yes, you read that right - April. This is a lateness record even for me! May was crazy busy, but now that we are past our son's graduation, I am trying to catch up!

I didn't want to skip my April summary completely, though, because April was an amazing reading month for me. I read a total of 9 books, which is a LOT for me (which partly explains why it took me so long to finish all my April reviews). Here's what I read:

 
  • Upside-Down Magic by Sarah Mlynowski, Lauren Myracle & Emily Jenkins, middle-grade audio 
  • The Big Dark by Rodman Philbrick, middle-grade audio (New Hampshire)
  • Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz, adult fiction/suspense (Colorado)

Wow! So, how did I manage a record-setting reading month? Well, Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon was in April, which helped. I listen to a few middle-grade audios which tend to be shorter than YA or adult. And one of my books, Blog, Inc., I started last September and finally finished! Of the 9 books I read, 2 were nonfiction (rare for me), 1 was YA, and 3 were middle-grade (and also audio). It was a nice variety of books, all enjoyable!

Progress on 2016 Reading Challenges:
This is my favorite part of my monthly summary - updating my Reading Challenges! Still not much progress on my Read Your Own Damn Books Challenge - only two of these NINE were TBR books from my shelf! For the Monthly Motif Reading Challenge, April was Best of the Best month (award winners) - The Life We Bury won multiple awards. I read two more nonfiction books for my 2016 Nonfiction Reading Challenge, but STILL no classics for the 2016 Classics Challenge! For my Travel the World in Books Reading Challenge, I read books set in Poland and Mexico.  I am also tracking the states my books are set in, even though there is no Where Are You Reading challenge this year - I added 4 new states this month!

6 comments:

  1. Seems like you had a great reading month! You're doing well on your challenges too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I definitely need to read some classics, though! The challenge was to read one a month...and now it's June!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you posted this even though it's late! I hadn't seen several of your posts. The Life We Bury looks like a great read. And Blog, INC might be something to get me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Life We Bury WAS great - everyone in my book group liked it, and my husband did, too.

      Delete
  3. PS I'm just getting back on track with my Classics Club Challenge. Yikes! I need to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha- me, too! This challenge was supposed to be to read 1 classic a month! Yikes - now it's June...

      Delete