Saturday, June 30, 2018

Saturday Snapshot: Family Road Trip Memories


Saturday Snapshot is hosted by Melinda at West Metro Mommy Reads.

This week, one of my articles was published in Your Teen magazine's July/August issue: End of the Road, an essay about our family road trips. Here is the online version of it on their website.

I was already missing our family trips and feeling in desperate need of a vacation, so the publication of this essay has me going down memory lane (or memory highway)! With all our varied crises lately, we haven't had time for even a weekend trip or a vacation with just my husband and I. So, here are just a few of the highlights from our 15+ years of cross-country family road trips:

Our first road trip in 2000! 1 hr into a 10-day drive, our toddler yelled, "All done!"

Riding a camel at the Knoxville Zoo, 2001
Hiking in Bryce Canyon, 2002

Escalante Petrified Wood State Park, UT 2002
Mount Rushmore, 2003
Doyle's Falls - Shenandoah NP, 2004

Hiking at Petit Jean SP, Arkansas 2004
The Notch Trail - Badlands NP, South Dakota 2005
Happy travelers!

Digging for diamonds - Crater of Diamonds State Park, AR 2007

Canoe camping - Buffalo National River in AR - 2007

Carhenge - Nebraska 2008

Rocky Mountain National Park 2009

Bandolier National Monument - New Mexico 2010
Acadia National Park, Maine 2013

Our last family road trip - hiking in White Mountains, NH 2014
sigh...makes me want to hit the road!

Hope you are enjoying a wonderful weekend!

6 comments:

  1. I love all these pictures. Your children are younger than mine, but we loved to take off in the 1980's and 90's with our two sons to outdoor spots. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Deb, as you can see, we also love visiting great outdoor spots - we always brought our pop-up camper along on those cross-country road trips! Glad you have great family vacation memories, too :)

      Delete
  2. This made me a little sad because our kids are gone this summer and we have lots of memories from the same time frame of fun family trips!! Nothing like them to make memories!! Beth of Beth's Book-Nook Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me a little sad, too, Beth! But things are finally settling down a bit here now after a couple of months of crises, so I am hoping to plan some upcoming trips!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing these pictures! I *love* road trips...I grew up taking one every summer to the Midwest and my favorite vacation of all was a road trip we did a few years ago. My husband is planning to take another sabbatical next summer and we're trying to decide between another big road trip to the midwest or going to Alaska (where we'll rent either a car or an RV and have a road trip!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Melinda that sounds amazing - I would LOVE to go to Alaska - one of only 3 states I have never been to - it's definitely on the list!

      Planning a road trip is half the fun :)

      Delete