Saturday, September 03, 2016

Saturday Snapshot 9/3: The Needles - Black Hills, South Dakota


Saturday Snapshot is hosted by West Metro Mommy Reads. 

Today, I have another group of photos from our recent trip to South Dakota's Black Hills region - one of our favorite places in the world! Besides the fact that we have family there, we love to visit because there is so much incredible natural beauty...and our sons LOVE to climb on all the rocks! You can check out my previous Saturday Snapshots for additional photos: South Dakota Wildlife and some of our trip highlights in Black Hills of South Dakota.

Today's focus is on The Needles - huge granite spires that cover part of the region (and the northern part of Custer State Park) - we had a lot of fun, both admiring them from afar and climbing on them:

"The Eye of the Needle"

Clouds moving over a portion of The Needles
Some spires up close (those tiny figures on top are my sons!)

The Needles and those famed Black Hills pines
More climbing!

The Needles are part of what makes the Black Hills so unique!
Hope you are enjoying a good weekend! Back to the Readathon for me!

8 comments:

  1. What an amazing area. It would be hard walking there I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, there are plenty of nice hiking trails! My sons just like to climb on the rocks :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment about Toronto.
    Funny enough, I only went to rochester for the first time in July and loved it. Another Rochester blogger posted some of the many murals and that encouraged me to go visit.
    His blog is Tom the Backroads Traveler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny! I guess the ferry between the two cities didn't last long, huh?

      Thanks for the tip - I will check out that hometown blogger!

      Delete
  3. Trekking there would be a nightmare- but I imagine that it would be fun for a while at least. The Eye of the Needle looks interesting.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no - not at all! It's a lot of fun! There are plenty of regular hiking trails, but we always enjoy climbing on the rocks :)

      Wait till you see my photos next week of how high up my sons climbed later this day!!

      Delete
  4. We went through the Needles a few years ago--we didn't do much hiking as the kids were still too little. I'd love to go back, but I don't think I can get my husband to drive through it again--that was definitely outside of his comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha - we always laugh to see people with huge campers or motorhomes trying to fit through the tunnels! We just had a small rental car this time, so no biggie. My husband grew up spending summers in the Black Hills with his cousins, so he's used to it! Where he freaked out driving was the road to Yosemite in CA in a rented motorhome!

      Delete