Monday, September 05, 2016

Movie Monday: Fall 2016 Movies Based on Books

I was reading an article in the newspaper this week about upcoming fall movie releases, and I was struck by how many of them are book adaptations. This is a Hollywood trend that shows no signs of slowing...which is great for book lovers like me! I haven't read all related books yet, but I am excited to see so many familiar book titles coming to the big screen.

Here are some to watch for - better hurry up & read the books first! (note that where I have read the book already, I have linked to my review)

September 2 - The Light Between Oceans - A book that my book group and I all enjoyed, about an impossible moral decision faced by a kind husband and wife who rescue a baby.

September 16 - Bridget Jones's Baby - I admit I have not yet read any of the Bridget Jones novels (though I'd like to!), but I loved Renee Zellweger and Colin Firth in the first Bridget Jones movie. This one, the third, finds Bridget in her 40's and pregnant and unsure who the father is...and they've added Patrick Dempsey to the cast! I will go see it just for that.

September 23 - The Dressmaker - I haven't read this one, but the movie is adapted from a novel of the same name by Rosalie Ham, about a glamorous woman who returns to her small town in rural Australia and transforms the local women. The movie stars Kate Winslet and Liam Hemsworth.

September 30 - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - I just read this YA novel in June for one of my book groups & really enjoyed it, so I can't wait for the movie, directed by Tim Burton (so you know it's peculiar-ness will be extra-peculiar!) Fair warning, though: if you want to read the book, definitely read it FIRST, before seeing the movie, because even the movie trailer gives away some surprises that are gradually revealed in the book.

October 7 - The Girl on the Train - Both  my husband and I read and enjoyed this fast-paced thriller last summer, so we can't wait to see it on the big screen. Emily Blunt is starring as the messed-up unreliable narrator, Rachel.

October 7 - Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life - Based on a popular middle-grade series by the prolific James Patterson, the first book is coming to theaters, about a 6th grader. Starring Lauren Graham.

October 21 - American Pastoral - I am excited about this one! My book group read the Pulitzer Prize-winning modern classic by Philip Roth a couple of years ago, and I really enjoyed it. It's a very thoughtful novel, so it will be interesting to see how they adapted it. Ewan McGregor stars in the movie adaptation, along with Dakota Fanning and Jennifer Connelly. Might have to get some book group friends to go see this one with me!

October 28 - Inferno - Another of Dan Brown's popular novels comes to theaters this fall, with Tom Hanks once again starring as symbologist Robert Langdon. I read (and loved) The Da Vinci Code but haven't read this one yet (though I think we have it and my husband has probably read it).

November 11 - Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk - Yay!! This was an amazing novel that blew me away, about one day (a long and confusing day) in the life of a returning war hero who is really just a kid. It was hilarious, heartbreaking, and incredibly thought-provoking. The movie stars Vin Diesel, Kristen Stewart, and Steve Martin, among others - an odd collection! I hope they were able to capture the magic of the book.

Have you heard of any other book adaptations coming to theaters this fall? Which fall releases are you most excited to see?

14 comments:

  1. Ahhh! So excited about The Girl on the Train!! I knew about The Light Between Oceans and am so excited to see that one too. I don't love Tim Burton so I don't know whether I will see Peculiar Children but I loved the book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are, too, Anye! Emily Blunt looks like she is going to be great in it!

      Delete
  2. What a thoughtful list. As per usual I now have some new books and movies to add to my must read/watch list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Anne! We better get busy!

      Delete
  3. I'm a big fan of Bridget Jones! But...I'm just not sure about that movie. Looks a bit ridiculous and that's saying a lot coming from a Bridget Jones fan. LOL! Light Between Oceans looks so good but ugh my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be ridiculous, Trish, but...Colin Firth and Patrick Dempsey!

      Totally agree on Light Between Oceans - my husband read it, too, but I'm not sure he'll want to see the movie!

      Delete
  4. I am really looking forward to Girl on the Train, though I wish they had kept the English setting.

    I read the first and second BJ books and only saw the first movie--I really disliked the second book, but loved the original and the movie.

    Currently reading Miss Peregrine's Home and not loving it yet, but reserving judgment until I'm done.

    The Dressmaker, book and movie, sound great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Jane!! Couldn't believe the first time I saw the Girl on a Train trailer - they even choose a British actress but everyone is speaking in American accents. Hollywood!

      Delete
  5. The Dressmaker looks good, but I'm pretty sure I'll either have to round up some girlfriends or wait for it to stream to see it--there is NO WAY my husband would go see it!

    I'm also really looking forward to Miss Peregrine--and I think my husband would really like that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Melinda!! On both counts :)

      Delete
  6. "Light Between Oceans" is high on my reading list, but I had better get busy reading if I want to see the movie before it leaves the theaters. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good, Wendy - but definitely one to read first because there are some plot twists!

      Delete
  7. Ever since reading Harry Potter AFTER watching the movies, I really want to read the book before seeing the movie. There are so many great movies from books coming out. I'll only be able to see The Girl on the Train but I do want to read Light Between Oceans and Miss Peregrine's.

    Thanks for sharing with Small Victories Sunday Linkup, pinning to our linkup board and hope you found some great posts to visit this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I always prefer to read the books first...but there are many I don't get to!! Well, you always know they will be available on DVD or streaming before too long!

      Delete