Friday, September 09, 2016

2016 Big Book Summer Wrap-Up

The 2016 Big Book Summer Challenge officially closed on Monday, Labor Day, but I needed to write a couple more reviews before I could write this wrap-up post.

I had a slow start this year, with far more reading obligations (book groups & paid reviews) getting in the way of reading my Big Books than usual. But I read like crazy in August - two long days of air travel and a 4-day readathon Labor Day weekend helped!

In the end, I finished 5 Big Books this summer, which I feel good about. All were from my TBR shelves (some that had languished there for years), so that makes me happy, too.

As a reminder, here are the 6 books I planned/hoped to read for the Big Book Challenge this summer:


I only got through four of these (the bottom four) but ended up reading an extra Big Book for a book group, so here is what I read for the 2016 Big Book Summer Challenge (reviews at the links):
As always, the challenge was a lot of fun, and I was thrilled to finally get to some of these Big Books that have been collecting dust on my shelves!

What did YOU read this summer?

If you didn't join the Big Book Summer Challenge this year, I hope you will consider joining the fun next summer!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting this event each summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Anne! I enjoy it, too :)

      Delete
  2. I read four "Big Books" during the summer:
    -The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown (416 pages)
    -The Fireman by Joe Hill (747 pages)
    -The Secret Place by Tana French (452 pages)
    -The Perfume Collector by Kathleen Tessaro (464 pages)

    It was a good and fast summer for reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great reading summer for you, John! My husband also read The Boys in the Boat this summer (I read it last year when the author came to town to speak!) And we both enjoy Tana French, too.

      Delete
  3. We'll do our wrap up next Friday, but this is an awesome challenge - thanks for hosting as usual! This was my best year yet at 6 books :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 6 Big Books - that's awesome, Tanya! I look forward to reading your wrap-up :) Be sure to add the link to to the challenge page (the 2nd link-up list is for reviews & updates).

      Sue

      Delete
  4. I had fun with the Big Book Summer Challenge--reading two books, that I hadn't already started when the challenge started. Looking forward to it next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! So glad you enjoyed it, Jane! Hope you will join the fun again next summer!

      Delete