I had a slow start this year, with far more reading obligations (book groups & paid reviews) getting in the way of reading my Big Books than usual. But I read like crazy in August - two long days of air travel and a 4-day readathon Labor Day weekend helped!
In the end, I finished 5 Big Books this summer, which I feel good about. All were from my TBR shelves (some that had languished there for years), so that makes me happy, too.
As a reminder, here are the 6 books I planned/hoped to read for the Big Book Challenge this summer:
I only got through four of these (the bottom four) but ended up reading an extra Big Book for a book group, so here is what I read for the 2016 Big Book Summer Challenge (reviews at the links):
- The Marvels by Brian Selznick, 665 pages (middle-grade)
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, 507 pages
- The Many Lives of John Stone by Linda Buckley-Archer, 444 pages (YA)
- The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater, 438 pages (YA)
- Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson, 460 pages
What did YOU read this summer?
If you didn't join the Big Book Summer Challenge this year, I hope you will consider joining the fun next summer!