Monday, October 12, 2015

It's Monday 10/12! What Are You Reading?


Busy weekend, but now I am enjoying the sound of crickets and birds out on my peaceful back deck. I have to admit I like the quiet & peace of a Monday morning, even if I do have a million things to do this week - new week, fresh start! I've still been struggling with my health issues, though I think making progress a bit at a time. For some reason, I seem to always feel the worst on weekends, which kinda sucks. But, hey, here it is a new week!

Our family enjoyed some great books this past week:
  • I finished my first review book for Publisher's Weekly, A Paper Son by Jason Buchholz, a novel that goes back and forth between a present-day elementary teacher in San Francisco and the story of a family who moved back to China in 1925, with some supernatural elements linking the two stories. I really enjoyed it - the story and the writing pulled me right in. I'm working on my review now - look for the novel's release in January 2016.
  • Now I am reading The Three by Sarah Lotz for  my R.I.P. X Challenge - I gave it to my husband last year and am glad to finally be getting to it. It's the story of 4 simultaneous plane crashes that left only 3 children as survivors. Very compelling so far.
  • I've been listening to a teen/YA audiobook, The Cemetery Boys by Heather (Zac) Brewer, and really enjoying it. It combines an engaging, realistic story about a teen boy struggling with major changes in his life with some supernatural creepiness - a  perfect fit for October and my R.I.P. X Challenge!
  • My husband, Ken, finished The English Girl by Daniel Silva, the first Silva novel he's ever read, and said he enjoyed it.
  • Now, Ken is back to reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (recommended by our son). I just read last week that this book is being made into a movie AND a TV show
  • Jamie, 21, is still reading The Blood King by Gail Z. Martin, book 2 in the Chronicles of the Necromancer series, another epic fantasy series. He really enjoyed book 1, The Summoner, so he is looking forward to the rest of the series.
 I'm doing better at getting back into my normal writing/blogging routines. Here's what I posted last week:
Movie Monday: The Cake Eaters, starring Kristen Stewart and Bruce Dern

TV Tuesday: How to Get Away with Murder, one of our favorites, back for season 2!

Middle-grade Review: Ghost Hawk by Susan Cooper, historical fiction crossed with a (friendly) ghost story - I loved it!

Nonfiction Review: How to Wake Up: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide to Navigating Joy and Sorrow by Toni Bernhard

As you can see, I have added weekly reviews of TV shows and movies to my blog recently, so if like me, you also enjoy TV shows and movies as well as books, check out all of my media reviews!

What are you and your family reading this week?    

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, with a kid/teen version hosted by Unleashing Readers
 
   

10 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about The Three and it seems perfect for RIP! I hope you feel well all week long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like it so far - very compelling!

      Delete
  2. I don't know any of these books, Sue! Thank you for your thorough blurbs, so I know to add A Paper Son to my TBR.

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked it! I wanted to give a nice overview because I won't be able to post the review on my blog - exclusive to PW - though I will link to it in January!

      Delete
  3. I'm intrigued by the Cemetery Boys. I have heard of it, but I haven't read it. I look forward to your thoughts at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good, Ricki - good creepiness but also an in-depth realistic teen novel.

      Delete
  4. I'm going to read the latest Lockwood & Co as my scary novel of the month. That is about as creeped as I can get

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with that series, Cherlee, but I understand! I gave up the really scary, gory stuff years ago.

      Delete
  5. A Paper Son sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, Myra - really kept me engrossed!

      Delete