Whew, another super-busy week. I finally had some time to work on catching up after our month away in July - writing, picking up the house, household management, etc. Lots of urgent must-do's last week!
But we always have books to help us slow down and relax. Here's what we read last week:
- I finished reading Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver, which was my fifth Big Book of the Summer! Kingsolver is one of my favorite authors, and I enjoyed this novel very much - it was a perfect summer read, set in the hills of Virginia.
- Now I am reading my sixth and final Big Book of the Summer, Anne of Green Gables by H. M. Montgomery. Can you believe I have never before read this childhood classic? I am enjoying it very much so far and am totally in love with the precocious, talkative Anne!
- I am almost (not quite) finished listening to Crows and Cards by Joseph Helgerson, a free download from SYNC this summer. It is a middle-grade audio book set in 1849 about a twelve-year old boy who gets involved with riverboat gamblers. It's been a lot of fun, with a great audio production (it's hard to set that down and then switch to reading a regular book because I still hear that southern accent narrating in my head!)
- My husband, Ken, finished The Third Option by Vince Flynn last night. I think I may have gotten this suspense novel in last summer's reading program at our local library (we are both raking in the free books again this summer!).
- Now, Ken has started Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch, sequel to The Lies of Locke Lamora (in the Gentleman Bastards series!) Our son loved these books and now Ken is enjoying them, too.
- Jamie, 20, is reading The Barrow by Mark Smylie, an epic fantasy novel that he's enjoying so far.
Choose Your Next Book From Awards Lists! a summary with links of the major book awards
Review of One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus, historical fiction
Saturday Snapshot 8/8 - August in bloom in my neighborhood
Weekend Cooking 8/9 - Easy, Tasty Meals with Paleo Options
What are you and your family reading this week?
What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, with a kid/teen version hosted by Unleashing Readers.
Just 3 weeks left of summer, but you still have time to join the fun with the Big Book Summer Challenge! You only need to read 1 book (though you can read more if you want) longer than 400 pages to participate. And this year, for the first time, there'll be a Big Book Giveaway at the end of the summer for participants!
And if you are already signed up, remember to add your reviews to the review list at the link (the second links list).