Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Spooky Halloween Reads!

One of my favorite book blogs, Girl xoxo written by Tanya, is featuring A Month of Monstrosities for October.  Here's her latest update on her spooky reads this month.  While I'm not all that into vampires and werewolves and zombies, I did think it was a great idea to do some theme reading this month and dive into some spooky reads!

BookPage had more ideas with their list of Top Ten Must-Read Thrillers.  All of these sound enticing!  I just got my husband The Twelve (sequel to The Passage) by Justin Cronin, Into the Woods by Tana French, and Defending Jacob by William Landay.  I can't wait to read all of these thrillers, but I suppose it's only fair to let him read his birthday gifts first!

So, though I've been focused on reading a few books for book groups, I am moving onto some spooky Halloween reads starting this week:
  • Today, I finished Magisterium by Jeff Hirsch, a unique dystopian novel with a (dark) magical twist.
  • I just picked up Chris Bohjalian's Night Strangers from the library today.  This spooky novel was last Halloween's favorite creepy read, so I am looking forward to it.
  • And a long-overdue shipment of kid/teen review books arrived today from Simon & Schuster, including two from Neal Schusterman (a family favorite) - Everfound, the final book in the Skinjacker trilogy and The Dark Side of Nowhere (just the title sounds spooky, doesn't it?).  Plus, I have a stack of older review books waiting to be read, but I think Everfound may win as my next teen Halloween read because I love this trilogy...and what's more appropriate for this month than a good ghost story?
So, that's what I have planned to celebrate Halloween reading-style.  How about you?  Are you planning to read any spooky, creepy selections this month?

If you need more ideas, check out my past Top Ten Halloween Reads list and my Top Ten Kids/Teen/YA Books for Halloween list. 



2 comments:

  1. I like the sounds of your Halloween reads! I wish I could have gotten to Justin Cronin books this October - but I couldn't :-( I'm still looking forward to reading them though.

    And how about you do a thriller themed month :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't fit in the Justin Cronins this month either, Tanya, but I am DYING to read The Twelve - we both LOVED The Passage - soooo good!

    A Thriller Month is a great idea!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete