Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Books Read in September





September was absolutely lovely here - perfect weather with temperatures in the 70's and lots of sunshine and blue skies!  I finally got to spend a little time outside.


Lots of good reading in September, too.  I finished:
  • 11/22/63 by Stephen King, a genre-crossing novel about a man who goes back in time to try to stop JFK's assassination.
  • Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks, a historical novel set in the 1660's about a friendship between a native American boy and a Puritan girl (review to come this week).
  • 1NF1N1TY by Rachel Ward, book 3 in the teen/YA trilogy Num8ers.
  • Brave New World by Aldus Huxley, a classic that is frequently banned.
I also spent a week slogging through The Death of Artemio Cruz by Carlos Fuentes for my neighborhood book group but finally gave up about halfway through. 

So, two grown-up historical novels, a teen/YA paranormal thriller, and a classic that defined the genre of dystopian novels.  What a great reading month!  I thoroughly enjoyed every one of these books.  It's hard to choose a favorite (the first two were both excellent), but I guess 11/22/63 would be my top pick for the month, classic King fare - engaging, compelling, and well-written.

 As for My 2012 Challenges, I added a couple of new states to my Where Are You Reading 2012 Challenge:  11/22/63 takes place in both Maine and Texas; and Brave New World takes place mainly in England (600 years in the future), but there are some key scenes that take place in New Mexico, so I counted it because I hadn't read anything set in New Mexico yet this year.  Is that cheating?  No, I don't think so!

I read my 6th dystopian novel for the year (Brave New World); I decided not to categorize 1NF1N1TY as dystopian because there is really no government or society in the book - it is more purely post-apocalyptic (and paranormal).  And I read 2 more books from my overcrowded TBR shelf, 11/22/63 and Caleb's Crossing, toward my 12 in '12 Challenge, bringing my total to 7 - I better focus on that TBR shelf for the last quarter!

All in all, a very good reading month!  What was your favorite book read in September?



No comments:

Post a Comment