Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Top Ten Books I'd Recommend To Someone Who Doesn't Read YA

Today is Tuesday, and that means it's Top Ten day over at The Broke and the Bookish!  Today's topic is Top Ten Books I'd Recommend to Someone Who Doesn't Usually Read X.  I chose to recommend books for people who don't normally read Young Adult books because there are so many amazing books out there written for teens and young adults that appeal equally to grown-up readers.  For more ideas, you can visit Great Books for Kids and Teens.

So, here are my picks (in no particular order) - I hope you find something here to love!

  1. The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins – a cultural phenomenon – not quite on the scale of Harry Potter and Twilight but it may get close after the movie is released in March – not only a fast-paced dystopian story but also a very thought-provoking look into war and our own society’s obsession with reality TV.
  2. Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork – an insightful coming-of-age story about a young man with a form of autism.  If you liked The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, you’ll love this novel.
  3. Shiver, Linger, and Forever by Maggie Stiefvater – adults who enjoyed the Twilight series will love this well-written trilogy about teens in Minnesota who turn into wolves when the weather gets cold. I’m not generally a fan of this genre but loved these novels!
  4. Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card – fans of Card’s Ender’s Game series know that the author writes clever, exciting sci fi novels that appeal equally to teens and adults; this first book in a time-traveling series is fabulous!
  5. Thunder Over Kandahar by Sharon E. McKay - an insightful, engaging novel written from the point of view of a young girl in Afghanistan.
  6. Wake, Fade, and Gone by Lisa McMann – Fans of paranormal suspense will love this unique trilogy about a young woman who gets pulled into other people’s dreams.
  7. The Deadly Sister by Eliot Schrefer – a mystery/suspense novel about a young woman trying to protect her younger sister who’s been accused of murder.
  8. Unwind by Neal Schusterman – another dystopian masterpiece, about a society where parents can choose to “unwind” (i.e. recycle) their teens between the ages of 13 and 18.
  9. What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell – a historical novel about a young woman’s coming-of-age in 1947, combining mystery, romance, and history.
  10. Three Little Words by Ashley Rhodes-Courter – a compelling memoir about a young girl’s childhood spent in foster care and how she overcame it.

What YA books would you recommend to adult readers?

5 comments:

  1. I agree that Hunger Games is a perfect crossover! I know so many people who "aren't into" YA that read and loved them.

    I would recommend the Anne of Green Gables series. What most people don't realize is that the books grow with Anne, following her from a little girl to a 50 year old mother with 6 children! Some of the later books (House of Dreams, Rilla of Ingleside) I definitely wouldn't have been able to handle well as an 11 or 12 year old, which is the age people seem to associate with the books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's really interesting, Cath, because Anne of Green Gables is one of those classics I have never gotten around to reading and keep meaning to (see previous Top Ten lists, ha ha). I will definitely have to get to those now!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for being faithful in making comments when my blog seems to not want to cooperate. I appreciate your stick-to-it-ness.

    I like your list. I confess that I got so turned off by some comment that Scott Card made about teachers or schools that I refused to order his new book. Boy, that will serve him right, huh? Ha.

    I didn't especially like the writing in the memoir: Three Little Words but the story blew me away and I think that ever legislator should be required to read the book about the truth behind foster care.

    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holes by Louis Sachar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good suggestion, Ryan!

    ReplyDelete