Monday, May 09, 2011

It's Monday 5/9! What Are You Reading?

Please pardon the very late post today - our life has been a whirlwind of travel lately (and this week will continue in that vein).  After our boys' two soccer games Saturday, we drove up to Connecticut to spend Mother's Day with my mom and my sister and their families (this week is also my mom's birthday).  Then we turned around and drove back home less than 24 hours later!  Despite the quick turnaround, it was good to see everyone.  No one can make me laugh like my family!  I hope everyone else had a good Mother's Day. 

This morning, my son and I headed back up the NJ Turnpike to see our Lyme doctor (a 90-minute drive each way).  We didn't have much time for reading this week:
  • I have finally, just today, finished Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese.  It took me over two weeks to read this hefty novel, but it is well-worth it, a unique story of a set of twins, born conjoined at the head, and raised in Ethiopa.  I finished it today and thought, "Shoot, that wasn't for a book group...now who will I talk to about it??"
  • My husband, Ken, finished Fear, a thriller by Jeff Abbott.
  • He has now moved onto Once a Spy by Keith Thomson.  I had pulled Twice a Spy off the New Release shelf at the library for him, but when he tried to read it, he discovered it was the sequel to another book, so I requested the first one from the library for him!
  • Jamie, 16, is still on his Redwall re-reading binge.  I asked him today if he was planning to re-read the entire series (for perhaps the third time?), and he said, "Yes!  And I'm trying to read them in chronological order this time," which is different than the order they were published in.  I have no idea how many more he read this week - I gave up trying to keep track!
  • On our way to and from Connecticut, we finished listening to Sapphique by Catherine Fisher in the car.  Though I think we all favored the first book, Incarceron, slightly, the sequel was well worth our time and provided a satisfying conclusion to the story.
Because I've been reading the same book for two weeks, I didn't post any reviews last week but did post a variety of other fun stuff:  my April reading summary, a photo of a surprise bookmark Jamie found in one of our older books and a discussion of found bookmarks, and my lists of Top Ten Books I Read Based on Recommendations both here and at Great Books for Kids and Teens.

Tomorrow we head to Washington, DC, for a special awareness event and lobbying day on Wednesday for kids and teens with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (the immune system disorder that both of my sons and I have) - exciting but hectic!  So things may be quiet here at the book blog for much of this week.

What are you and your family reading this week?

(what are you reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey).

6 comments:

  1. How cool that your family reads together! I've always encouraged my boys to read and now that they are grown, they are voracious readers! Probably helped that they always saw their dad and I read all the time as they were growing up! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you can find lots of bloggers to discuss Cutting For Stone with. It's on my wishlist but waiting for a time when I know I'll have time to give it my full attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your time in Washington, and I hope you learn something from it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are traveling all over! As a fellow CFS survivor, I'll be there with you in spirit! Hope you all get some reading done while you travel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's a lot of traveling going on. Good thing you can listen to books while driving! Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I got to see Keith Thomson (Once a Spy and Twice a Spy) speak here in town. He brought a droid aircraft that he features in the books. It was a fun tie in with a new author to us. Hope your husband enjoys the books.

    I have wanted to read Cutting for Stone for quite a while but it will have to wait until school is out. It sounds like a great July read under a ceiling fan!

    Travel safe!

    ReplyDelete