Monday, May 30, 2011

It's Monday 5/30! What Are You Reading?

These Monday holidays always feel strange - doesn't really feel like a Monday, does it?  I have spent most of the holiday weekend struggling with a severe flare-up of my chronic illness.  This just came out of the blue - it's been almost a year since I had an episode this bad - and I don't know what triggered this.  All my plans for getting caught up around the house had to be set aside.  I have been reading a lot, though, and trying to rest.  Thank goodness for engrossing books!  Here's what we're reading this week:
  • I finished reading The Condition by Jennifer Haigh, one of my favorite authors.  Like her earlier novel, Baker Towers, this one is also about family.  Everyone in my book group enjoyed it very much.
  • Because of book group commitments, I've read several adult books in a row without my usual alternating between kids/teen books and grown-up ones, so next I read a teen/YA book, The Deathday Letter by Shaun David Hutchinson.  Narrated by a teen boy who knows he will die in 24 hours, this was a bit crude, but its dark humor and thoughtful ending grew on me.
  • Now I'm reading The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon, a local author here in Delaware.  I loved her two memoirs, Riding the Bus with My Sister and Building a Home with my Husband.  This novel about a young mentally handicapped woman locked up in an instituation in the 50's and 60's is absolutely wonderful - I was completely hooked within the first chapter (perfect for sick days!).
  • My husband, Ken, is reading Num8ers by Rachel Ward, a teen/YA thriller, based on my recommendation.
  • 16-year old Jamie is still working his way through a re-reading of the entire Redwall series by Brian Jacques, in between getting through his last weeks of school.  He says he has only 3 books left to go!
I posted a review of The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht last week.


What are you and your family reading this week?  Hope you're enjoying the holiday weekend!


(What are you reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey).

4 comments:

  1. The Story Of A Beautiful Girl sounds good! Enjoy your week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago (it seem like yesterday) my oldest son was enthralled with the Redwall series. Happy reading to you and your family and have a wonderful week. My Monday: http://www.rundpinne.com/2011/05/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-41.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you got a lot of reading done. This coming week is my last week off before summer session. I have a few books I want to finish before school begins. Come see what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your illness flaring up. I hope all is well now. It sounds like you're on a reading roll. Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete