Thursday, October 28, 2010

Fiction Review: Who Has Seen the Wind

I just read this novel for my neighborhood book group, and everyone enjoyed it. It's considered a Canadian classic (though I'd never heard of it before), originally published in 1947. 

It's a sweet coming-of-age story set in the Saskatchewan prairie in the early 1930's. Brian is only four years old when the novel opens, and it ends as he enters adolescence. In between are joys and sorrows, just like in real life, along with tender moments, plenty of humor, and some surprising insights from a young boy. It's not a fast-paced book but easily kept my interest, a "gentle story" as one of my neighbors put it, with a wonderful philosophical perspective that provided plenty of fodder for discussion.


1 comment:

  1. I had to look up W.O. Mitchell because I thought he also wrote poetry. Doesn't appear so at a glance. So that means I'm Canadian and can't place him, let alone know if I've read him :D Will have to try this some time. Thanks for the review & enjoy your Hallowe'en weekend!

    ReplyDelete