Monday, December 26, 2011

It's Monday 12/26! What Are You Reading?


I hope you all enjoyed some wonderful holiday celebrations with your family this past week!  We had a very nice Christmas here.  I've included an "after" photo below of what our living room looked like after opening presents!  There were lots of great books exchanged, as always - I'll post a list later this week. 

Amid the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, we still managed to read last week:
  • I finished a light-hearted holiday book, Wally Lamb's Wishin' and Hopin', a warm and funny novel narrated by a fifth-grade boy in 1965.  I loved it!  Perfect reading for this past week.
  • I am now reading  Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork, a highly acclaimed teen book I had been meaning to read for a long time.  It's just as good as everyone said.
  • I finished listening to Breadcrumbs, a wonderful, magical middle-grade novel written by Anne Ursu.
  • My husband, Ken, is reading Gumbo Tales: Finding My Place at the New Orleans Table by Sara Roahen, based on my recommendation.  I absolutely loved this book, and he is also enjoying reading about our favorite city and favorite foods.  
  • Jamie, 17, is reading the final book in The Icemark Chronicles trilogy by Stuart Hill, Last Battle of the Icemark.  You know it's been a busy week when Jamie is still reading the same book he started last week!
  • Jamie finished reading The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga for his World Lit class.  He says it's very good and that I should read it.
  • Craig, 13, finished Curse of the Bane, Book Two of The Last Apprentice series by Joseph Delaney, just in time to take his Accelerated Reader quiz before winter break.
  • Craig is now reading Alibi Junior High by Greg Logsted.  He wouldn't normally read a book that I recommended (it's a parent/teen thing), but I also recommended this book to his classmates, who've been loving it, so his teacher suggested he try it!
I only had time to write one review last week of a memoir, She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders by Jennifer Finney Boylan (who used to be James) - it was fascinating and warm with a great sense of humor.  I hope to try to catch up on reviews and other posts during the break this week.

What are you and your family reading this week?  Enjoy your time off with a good book!

(What are you reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.)

The "After" Picture

5 comments:

  1. Tanya Patrice11:06 AM

    Lol - that "after" picture is priceless :-) Hope you & your fam had a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check out the Wally Lamb book, thanks for sharing.
    Here's mine:
    http://junkboattravels.blogspot.com/2011/12/its-monday-what-are-you-reading_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I've been wanting to read Wally Lamb's Wishin' and Hopin'. Glad you liked it.

    Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:15 AM

    Hope you had a great Xmas!
    Here’s my It’s Monday, What Are You Reading?. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) Looks like you guys had a fun and wild Christmas!

    Happy New Year and new reading :)
    http://brunettelibrarian.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete