Monday, June 03, 2019

It's Monday 6/3! What Are You Reading?

It's June! How did that happen? Not officially summer yet, but it certainly feels like it here. It's been hot and humid already, though it is cool and lovely out this morning - what a nice change! And, of course, the Big Book Summer Challenge started last week, so it must be summer now!

We are all enjoying our Big Books - here's what we've all been reading this week:

No surprise that I am still reading my first Big Book of the Summer! I kicked things off with a doozy - a 959-page chunkster - Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. This is a readalong for the Book Cougars podcast for June, plus a classic (I am behind on my Classics Challenge), and from my own shelves, so it counts for several challenges. I've never read the novel and saw the movie many decades ago, and I am enjoying it so far...even though I can barely hold it up! I'm surprised (though I shouldn't be) by how good it is. I'm completely engrossed in the story, in both the personal dramas as well as the detailed perspectives of the Southerners during the Civil War and what that time period and culture was like. I'm a bit more than 200 pages in, so I have a ways to go.

On audio, I finished listening to a YA novel, The Knowing by Sharon Cameron, the sequel to The Forgetting, which I listened to on audio two years ago (review at the link). It's an original and engrossing science fiction dystopian novel about memory, but to say any more about the second book would give away spoilers about the first book. Suffice it to say, it was a suspenseful and compelling story that I enjoyed just as much as the first one.

And now, I am listening to a Big Book on audio, Harry's Trees by Jon Cohen, a novel I've wanted to read ever since it was released last year. It's two intersecting stories, about Harry, a man who works for the Forest Service whose wife dies suddenly and Amanda, a woman who lives in a nearby rural area whose husband just died unexpectedly. Harry goes to the woods and ends up meeting Amanda and her daughter. That's about as far as I've gotten so far, but I am loving it and it seems like it is about healing. It's intriguing, compelling, and maybe even a bit magical - and set in the forest, so what's not to like?


My husband, Ken, finished his first Big Book Summer book, Dark Sacred Night by Michael Connelly, a novel where the author combines two of his popular characters, Harry Bosch and Renee Ballard, who was introduced in The Late Show, which Ken also enjoyed. In this new cross-over novel, the two team up on the unsolved murder of a runaway. Which reminds me, the new season of the TV adaptation of Connelly's novels, Bosch, just started April 19 - can't wait to see it! We both love the show (and the books, of course).

Now, Ken has moved onto another Big Book, The President Is Missing by James Patterson and Bill Clinton, a recent political thriller that's gotten a lot of press. The fast-paced novel is set over the course of three days and deals with cyber-terrorism and espionage of such a magnitude that the whole nation is at risk. Even the President himself is a suspect, as the investigators try to root out a traitor in the cabinet. Word is that Clinton's inside knowledge of the workings of the White House and government make this political thriller extra-chilling and suspenseful.

Our son, Jamie, 24, is reading a novel that we put in his Easter basket, The Wolf, by Leo Carew, book 1 in the Under the Northern Sky series. I picked it out for him at an awesome indie bookstore at the beach in Delaware, Browseabout Books, because the epic fantasy sounded right up his alley. He's loving it. Jamie thinks my Big Book Summer Challenge is hilarious because everything he reads (including this one) counts as a Big Book!




Blog posts from last week:
Movie Monday: Fracture - psychological thriller starring Ryan Gosling and Anthony Hopkins

Fiction Review: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman - warm, moving, engrossing and very funny novel

Fiction Review: The Guest Book by Sarah Blake - multi-generational family saga that also highlights political and social changes

Celebrate National Trails Day...with a Book! - 5 books about hiking and the outdoors

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers.

You can follow me on Twitter at @SueBookByBook or on Facebook on my blog's page.   

What are you and your family reading this week?

Remember to sign up for the Big Book Summer Challenge! It's easy-going, like summer - you only have to read one book of 400 or more pages between now and September (though you can, of course, read more!) It's lots of fun and a great way to add extra enjoyment to your summer! All the details are at the link - you can sign up there if you have a blog or, if not, just leave a comment on that page or sign up at the Goodreads group linked from that page. Join the fun!

18 comments:

  1. I read Gone With the Wind years ago. I didn't realize it was so long. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first time reading it - really enjoying it so far!

      Delete
  2. I haven't done my first chunkster yet. I'll finish my current YA then dive right in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Gone With the Wind in 8th grade and loved it, but I have a feeling it has fallen out of favor nowadays. Hope you enjoy it, though. I never read a Jame Patterson book, but will have to one of these days. Looks like your summer is pretty well planned, hope it's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 8th grade! I don't think it has fallen out of favor at all - people doing the readalong have been saying there's always a wait list for it at the library!

      My husband and I don't generally read Patterson, either - we both read one many years ago & weren't too impressed with the writing or the characters, but this one is unique, co-authored by Clinton, so we're giving it a try!

      Delete
  4. I think I might sign up for the big book challenge, just need to remember to do it. Hmm Harry's Trees on audio, I enjoyed the book and I bet it would be good to listen to - happy to hear you are hooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful on audio so far, Kathryn! Glad to hear you enjoyed reading it, too.

      Delete
  5. I love your addition of images! :)
    The Knowing is on my TBR--I need to get to it :)
    Hope to be part of your challenge! I'll let you know!
    Happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Kellee - I changed it up last week but didn't think anyone had noticed :)

      Hope you find a Big Book on your shelves so you can join the fun this summer!

      Delete
  6. Only my middle two kids are readers. My 16yo daughter is reading Fahrenheit 451 for fun, and The Five People You Meet In Heaven for English class. Im actually not sure what My 15yo son is reading, he is currently on a school camp and took a few books with him but I’m not sure what. You can check out what I’m reading at Book’d Out

    Have a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh, I re-read Fahrenheit 451 a few years ago for Banned Books Week & really enjoyed it. Interesting that she's reading 5 People You Meet in Heaven for school - I liked that one, too :)

      We have a younger son who hates to read, so I get that!

      Delete
  7. Hi Sue, I am bogged down listening to Drawdown: The Most Comprehensive Plan Ever Proposed to Reverse Global Warming by Paul Hawken. It's a long slog that I might add to my Big Book Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a short book so must be pretty dense, Cheriee! I hadn't heard of it before.

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad summer is finally here and I can get a jump start on the bigger books I've put off during the school year. WOW @ Gone With the Wind!! I had no idea it was that looooooong. And after all you've shared, I really want to read The Forgetting (so I'm glad for the reminder). Have a wonderful week, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, so glad you are joining the challenge, Shaye! Hope you enjoy The Forgetting!

      Delete
  9. I received a review copy of The President Is Missing the month it came out - but sadly, have not gotten around to reading it yet. Hopefully, soon! :) Have a great reading week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to it!

      You can give yourself some extra motivation by joining the Big Book Summer Challenge! That one definitely counts :)

      Delete