Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Books Read in December

Winter sky and bare trees in December
I usually focus on my TBR shelves in December (and reading last year's Christmas gifts before I get new ones!), but this December was more of a mixed bag, with a couple of review books thrown in. Here's what I finished reading in December (reviews at links):
  • The Lost Girls: Three Friends. Four Continents. One Unconventional Detour Around the World, by Jennifer Baggett, Holly C. Corbett, and Amanda Pressner (Peru, Argentina, Brazil, Kenya, India, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, New Zealand, and Australia - whew!) - adult memoir
  • Release by Patrick Ness (WA) - teen/YA novel on audio
  • The Light Years by Chris Rush (NJ, AZ) - adult memoir

  • Future Home of the Living God by Louise Erdrich (MN) - adult fiction on audio
  • Here and Now and Then by Mike Chen (CA) - adult fiction - review for Shelf Awareness (end of January) 
  • American War by Omar El Akkad (MS, GA) - adult novel



So, I finished six books in December, a mix of fiction and nonfiction (memoir) and mostly adult, with one YA novel in the mix. I listened to two books on audio, and the rest were in print. Hard to choose a favorite because I enjoyed all of these very much. Both memoirs were excellent and engrossing. Both American War and Future Home of the Living God were very well-written, powerful, thought-provoking novels, though both were pretty bleak for the holiday season (and I listened/read them at the same time!). So for pure fun and enjoyment, I guess I would choose Here and Now and Then because it was a classic time travel story wrapped up in family drama - as I told my editor, it was pretty much written for me!

Progress in 2018 Reading Challenges:
This is my favorite part of my monthly summary - updating my Reading Challenges:

Mount TBR Reading Challenge - I added just 2, bringing 2018 total to 33. 

Monthly Motif Reading Challenge - December was Wrapping It Up month, with winter/snow/ice themes, but since 3 of my books took place in the future where climate change has made it summer year-round, I went with the alternative option and re-used March's category of Around the World - perfect for The Lost Girls.

Back to the Classics Challenge - no new classics
2018 Badass Books Challenge - nothing new added
  
Travel the World in Books Reading Challenge - I added Peru, Argentina, Brazil, Kenya, India, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, New Zealand, and Australia - all in one book!
2018 Literary Escapes Challenge, I added 2 more states, NJ and MN.
Finally, Bookish Bingo hosted by Chapter Break - not really a challenge per se, but a fun game that I play each month. I filled in just 18 squares in December - not a lot of holiday stuff in this dystopian/apocalyptic reading month!



Spaces filled in:
The Lost Girls - reminiscing, shelf love
Release - not in a series, breaking rules, favorite author
The Light Years - free book, bad habits, redemption, beard
Future Home of the Living God - audio book, betrayal
Here and Now and Then - read a physical book, fast-paced
American War - justice, brain-washing, sets goals, gift

What was your favorite book read in December?   

4 comments:

  1. The Lost Girls is the one I'd love to get hold of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! Quite a story. Hope you can read it soon.

      Delete
  2. Look at all those countries that you added with just one book! I am jealous :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha ha I know! Amazing, right?

      Delete