As always, we make sure we have downtime for reading. Here's what we've all been reading this past week:
- I have been reading (and loving!) Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman this week. My husband and I are HUGE fans of the TV show (my review at the link). This is the real-life memoir that the Netflix show is based on, and it is every bit as good! Piper brings that same mix of heartfelt emotion, comedy, and social commentary to the book that you see on TV (though without the graphic sex scenes!). I am really, really enjoying it - one of the books where I look forward all day to bedtime so I can read more.
- On audio, I have been listening (in between podcast binging) to The Outliers by Kimberly McCeight, a teen/YA thriller. An agoraphobic teen girl named Wylie who recently lost her mother overcomes her anxieties and leaves the house when she gets a text that her best friend, Cassie, is in trouble and needs her help. Wylie and Cassie's boyfriend, Jasper, take off on a crazy road trip in search of Cassie, without knowing exactly what they are getting into. Lots of suspense and unexpected twists here - I'm enjoying it so far.
- My husband, Ken, is reading Before the Fall by Noah Hawley, a book I gave him for his birthday this fall. It's about the aftermath of a small plane crash with only two survivors: an adult man and a small child. He's enjoying it so far.
- Jamie, 22, Jamie finished reading Frostborn: The Gray Knight by Jonathan Moeller and enjoyed it.
- Now, Jamie is re-reading Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence, Book 1 in The Broken Empire series, in preparation to read a new book in the series - he does that a lot! His reading will have to slow down for a while - 1 more week of classes with a bunch of group projects due, a week of finals, and then he is off for the winter break and can read nonstop again!
TV Tuesday: Timeless - a fast-paced, suspenseful time travel series all about historyYou can see my mind is still in the Keys!
Saturday Snapshot: Sunsets in the Florida Keys
Weekend Cooking: 3 Great Restaurants in the Florida Keys
What are you and your family reading this week?
What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers.
|Our annual trip to the tree farm (see the 2 reindeer in the background?)|