Monday, June 20, 2016

It's Monday 6/20! What Are You Reading?

Happy Official First Day of Summer, Summer Solstice, and the Longest Day of the Year (at least in the eastern hemisphere)! You know what that means? More time to read today! Also, there's still plenty of time to sign up for the 2016 Big Book Summer Challenge! (you only need to plan to read one book of 400+ pages before September to participate).

We had unusually temperate, lovely weather this weekend (as opposed to super hot & humid), and we made the most of it. Our sons were at Firefly, a huge 4-day musical festival here in Delaware, with their friends, so my husband and I took off on our own camping weekend. We drove a few hours away into the mountains of northern Maryland (part of the Appalachians) and enjoyed hiking and lots of quiet time...and yes, lots of reading!

Here's what we've all been reading:
  • I finished The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater, the fourth and final book in her The Raven Cycle series, which I have been wanting to get to since it was released in April. It was great, just like the first three, with an excellent wrap-up to the series. This was my first Big Book of the Summer - woohoo!
  • My reading timing with our weekend away was just a little bit off - I have 2 book group books to read in the next two weeks, but my first one wasn't in at the library yet. So, I needed something very short this weekend and decided it was about time to read a classic (since I joined a one-classic-per-month challenge & haven't read any yet this year!). So, I read The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka, a novella that both of my sons had to read for their World Lit class in high school. This was my first taste of Kafka, and it was well-written, engaging, and surprisingly funny.
  • Home last night and still without my next book group book (I just picked it up this morning!), I started another super quick book, Bera the One-Headed Troll by Eric Orchard, a middle-grade graphic novel that is due out on August 2. I'm about halfway through, and so far, it is wholly unique, interesting, and with richly imagined drawings. I already love little Bera.
  • I finished listening to The Magnificent Mya Tibbs: Spirit Week Showdown by Crystal Allen & Eda Kaban, a middle grade audio book and the start of a new series with a spunky 4th grade heroine and a fun, cowgirl setting in Texas. I need to start a new audio today.
  • My husband, Ken, is reading When Darkness Falls by James Grippando, a paperback thriller that I put in his Christmas stocking. Just in time because I gave him 3 new books for Father's Day yesterday that we both can't wait to read!
  • Jamie, 21, finished re-reading the first two books in the A Pattern of Shadow and Light trilogy by Melissa McPhail: Cephrael's Hand and The Dagger of Adendigaeth and is still reading book 3, Paths of Air. Not much reading time at a 4-day music festival with friends! He may have finished this one by now, but he is still asleep so I can't ask him.
 Last week's blog posts (wow, I managed a lot for being offline for 3 days this weekend!):
Movie Monday: Captain America: Civil War, the latest Avengers movie

TV Tuesday: Stitchers, a young team of brilliant scientists solves crimes with sci fi tech

Fiction Review: The Book That Matters Most by Ann Hood, reviewed for Publishers Weekly

Teen/YA Review: My Name Is Not Friday by Jon Walter, a free black boy during the Civil War is sold into slavery

Fiction Review: A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki, an engrossing story of connections

What are you and your family reading this week?    

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers.


Join the Big Book Summer Reading Challenge! Just click the link to read the rules - super-easy for summer! You only need to read one "big book" (400 pages or more) to participate. Join the fun & sign up today!


19 comments:

  1. Lots of good reading going on with your family! I loved The Raven King, saw Maggie present a while back. If you get a chance, go. She is fun to see! Thanks for all, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I would love to see her in person! I so love meeting authors, and her books have really captivated me.

      Delete
  2. That's quite a list. I'm impressed! https://coffeeandcatsblog.wordpress.com/2016/06/20/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-june-20th/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good that The Raven King was wonderful and wrapped the series up well. Mid-winter day here today so was dark until a little while ago ( a few mins to 8am as I write.) Oh well gotta be faced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So strange to think it is winter there! I like the long days of summer but not our usual heat & humidity - this weekend was a nice break from that.

      Delete
  4. I love using my library, but there is certainly something to be said for having the exact book you want at an exact moment! I hope your book club reads are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did for a moment consider buying the e-book, but I knew the book would be waiting at my library when I got home - and look what happened! I finally read a classic this year!

      Delete
  5. The Metamorphosis is a fantastic story. I teach it in my world literature class. There is so much there to analyze and to discuss. The Magnificent May Tibbs interest me. I love a spunky heroine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what my younger son said to me today - that he most enjoyed the class discussion of The Metamorphosis this year of all the books they read for World Lit (and that's saying something since he says he hates to read!)

      Delete
  6. I haven't thought about the Metamorphosis in years! Probably since my undergrad years. What a strange, intriguing little book!

    Happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first time! And that is a very good description - strange & intriguing!

      Delete
  7. How nice to enjoy a getaway with your husband. Looking forward to The Raven King.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good - worth the wait!

      Delete
  8. I actually haven't read any of the books you list. Metamorphosis has been on my list for a very long time. :)
    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it in 2 days, Ricki - less than 60 pages! An easy one to squeeze in (even for me! ha ha)

      Delete
  9. Today is the first day of summer and the last day of school for this year. Yay! I hope to pay attention to your Big Book Challenge because i can safely say I will read some big ones this year. I loved the Raven King and I', sad the series is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Welcome to summer, Anne! Great - join the challenge! You don't have to know now exactly what books you'll read for it - just put up a quick intro post and link up.

      Yes, also sad The Raven Cycle is over...what will Maggie come up with next??

      Delete
  10. Your weekend sounds perfect! And congrats on completing your first big book of the summer challenge--I'm a long way from that 1st one done myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you had an ideal reading weekend. I loved the raven boys series.

    ReplyDelete