Monday, June 13, 2016

It's Monday 6/13! What Are You Reading?

Wow, what a quiet week here! With both sons off on trips with their friends, the house was unbelievably quiet...which was just what I needed after the crazy, chaotic graduation week.

So, I devoted my week to catching up and getting back in the groove of blogging.

Now, both boys (young men now, really) are back home, the TV is on nonstop, and the house is noisy and chaotic again - but it's nice to have them home. They leave again in a few days for the Firefly music festival here in Delaware. They are making the most of summer vacation!

Here's what we all read last week:
  • I am still reading The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater, the fourth and final book in her The Raven Cycle series, which I have been wanting to get to since it was released in April. It's great, just like the first three, and I can't wait to see how it all wraps up! I have less than a hundred pages to go. This is my first Big Book of the Summer.
  • I've been listening to The Magnificent Mya Tibbs: Spirit Week Showdown by Crystal Allen & Eda Kaban, a middle grade audio book. This is the start of a new series with a spunky 4th grade heroine and a fun, cowgirl setting in Texas.
  • My husband, Ken, read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King, another of the books we inherited from my dad (I listened to this one on audio years ago) - it's an uncharacteristically brief novel for King (suspense, not horror), about a young girl who gets lost in the woods.
  • Now, Ken is reading When Darkness Falls by James Grippando, another of my dad's books. This one is a thriller.
  • Jamie, 21, finished re-reading the first two books in the A Pattern of Shadow and Light trilogy by Melissa McPhail: Cephrael's Hand and The Dagger of Adendigaeth and is still reading book 3, Paths of Air. Not much reading time for a 21-year old on a Caribbean cruise with his friends!
 I worked on blog catch-up last week:
Movie Monday: A Walk in the Woods, adaptation of Bill Bryson's memoir

TV Tuesday: Humans, a unique and compelling TV show

Summary of Books Read in April - yes, April! Catching up...

Fiction Review: The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez - family drama, story of first love, and a peek at the lives of modern immigrants

Middle-Grade Review: Some Kind of Courage by Dan Gemeinhart, a story of family & friendship set in 1890's Washington

Saturday Snapshot 6/11: It's Summer!
 
What are you and your family reading this week?    

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers.


Join the Big Book Summer Reading Challenge! Just click the link to read the rules - super-easy for summer! You only need to read one "big book" (400 pages or more) to participate. Join the fun & sign up today! 



16 comments:

  1. Sounds like a little down time in between all the joy your sons bring when they are about the house. Enjoy your bigger than 400 pages book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kathryn - alternating between quiet and chaos these days! That's summer here :) Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I read "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" waaay back when it was first released and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it on audio. My husband enjoyed it, too. We are both having fun reading my dad's books - he wrote in the front of each when he read or re-read them, so that's really cool.

      Delete
  3. I am glad to hear your boys are home! Chaos can be lovely when it involves children. :) I am still deciding which Big Book to read this summer! Last summer, I tackled East of Eden. I will keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many good Big Books to choose from! I completely forgot about my challenge (and desire) to read classics when I chose my mine, so I may do some switching around mid-summer :)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you had a good few days to catch up! I need to do some of that...the reviews are piling up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still pretty far behind, Lindsey, but catching up...VERY slowly!

      Delete
  5. I have not read The Raven Cycle series yet; I know I need to fix that! Happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really, really good, Kellee! Both my son and I have enjoyed it.

      Delete
  6. I lived the Raven Boys books so much, I'm thinking of reading them all again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what my son does - re-reads all of a series before tackling the latest one! It would be a good idea with this series because there is so much detail I have trouble remembering from previous books.

      Delete
  7. My number at the library is almost up for The Raven King and I'm really looking forward to it. Of course, I'll probably have to wait for my kid to finish it first...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Enjoy it! Yeah, my son read it, too!

      Delete
  8. I've been wanting to read another Stiefvater book for a while. I read Shiver and Linger, but never continued the series. The Raven Cycles are on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think I'd like Shiver but read it because of all the hype...wow, I was totally hooked! Read the whole series. This one is excellent, too - I'm not normally a big fantasy fan, but she is just such a great writer.

      Delete