Monday, November 23, 2015

It's Monday 11/23! What Are You Reading?

Eek! I am starting to panic - we leave soon for Thanksgiving and there is so much to do before we go! I like seeing my family and enjoying holiday traditions, but I don't like the extra stress and hectic-ness this time of year.

Last week was mostly a quiet week at home. Our son recovered from his sinus infection, and I am getting over my bronchitis - not 100% yet but getting better every day. Lots of good reading at our house last week:
  • After reading two book group selections and a review book in rapid succession, I chose something just for fun that I've been wanting to read for ages: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz, a YA novel whose cover is filled with award badges! It's just as good as I'd heard, and I am enjoying just losing myself in the world of two teen boys in 1987 El Paso.
  • I finished listening to Challenger Deep by Neal Schusterman, one of my favorite authors. This teen/YA novel about a teen boy struggling with schizophrenia won the National Book Award for YA this year (just last week!), and it was well-deserved. I was blown away by this powerful and captivating novel.
  • I have now started listening to Echo, a middle-grade novel by Pam Munoz Ryan. I'm just at the beginning of this tale of a magical harmonica that links its users through time - the initial prologue, which reads like a fairy tale, was absorbing, and I can;t wait to see what happens next.
  • My husband, Ken is reading A Dance with Dragons, Book 5 in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series and 1150 pages! He and our son LOVE these books. He says Book 5 is better than Book 4 so far.
  • Jamie, 21, is reading The Bone Palace by Amanda Downum, Book 2 in The Necromancer Chronicles series.
 Somehow, I crammed a LOT of blog posts into last week!
Movie Monday: The Martian  - we loved the book and the movie!

TV Tuesday: The Mysteries of Laura - a light crime show starring Debra Messing

9 Awesome Books to Read Aloud to Your Tween - my article at BonBon Break, plus links to reviews

My Summary of Books Read in October

Fiction Review: Song Yet Sung by James McBride, a moving & unique historical novel

Teen/YA Review: Challenger Deep by Neal Schusterman, a powerful story of a boy's plunge into mental illness

Saturday Snapshot - brilliant fall colors lit by the setting sun

Book Lover's Gift Guide - finding the perfect book for everyone on your list!

What are you and your family reading this week?    

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers
 
 
  

7 comments:

  1. It sounds easier to go have Thanksgiving somewhere else, but there is always so much to do before leaving! I hope you find some time to read in the midst of the craziness - I'm interested in hearing what you think of Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been a guest at other homes for Thanksgiving in the past few years, which suits me fine. And then I have lunch with other family members in a restaurant a couple of days later. An easy way to celebrate.

    Enjoy your holiday...and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Travels on Thanksgiving and a good day with your family. I loved Aristotle and Dante and Echo, too. I need to get it on audio, like you, because I've heard that the music with it (print readers can only imagine) is wonderful. I have Challenger Deep on my list, know it will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes if only we could have the holidays without all the stress and in the USA you have a few to celebrate that must keep the adrenaline up! Hope you enjoy the trip minus any sickness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see many familiar titles here. Aristotle and Dante was one of my greatest reads last year - and Echo from this year. We are discussing Challenger Deep for one of my book clubs in January, so will get to that soonest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your holiday morphs into relaxing once you get organized.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice week for you.

    ENJOY this week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete