Last week was mostly a quiet week at home. Our son recovered from his sinus infection, and I am getting over my bronchitis - not 100% yet but getting better every day. Lots of good reading at our house last week:
- After reading two book group selections and a review book in rapid succession, I chose something just for fun that I've been wanting to read for ages: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz, a YA novel whose cover is filled with award badges! It's just as good as I'd heard, and I am enjoying just losing myself in the world of two teen boys in 1987 El Paso.
- I finished listening to Challenger Deep by Neal Schusterman, one of my favorite authors. This teen/YA novel about a teen boy struggling with schizophrenia won the National Book Award for YA this year (just last week!), and it was well-deserved. I was blown away by this powerful and captivating novel.
- I have now started listening to Echo, a middle-grade novel by Pam Munoz Ryan. I'm just at the beginning of this tale of a magical harmonica that links its users through time - the initial prologue, which reads like a fairy tale, was absorbing, and I can;t wait to see what happens next.
- My husband, Ken is reading A Dance with Dragons, Book 5 in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series and 1150 pages! He and our son LOVE these books. He says Book 5 is better than Book 4 so far.
- Jamie, 21, is reading The Bone Palace by Amanda Downum, Book 2 in The Necromancer Chronicles series.
Movie Monday: The Martian - we loved the book and the movie!
TV Tuesday: The Mysteries of Laura - a light crime show starring Debra Messing
9 Awesome Books to Read Aloud to Your Tween - my article at BonBon Break, plus links to reviews
My Summary of Books Read in October
Fiction Review: Song Yet Sung by James McBride, a moving & unique historical novel
Teen/YA Review: Challenger Deep by Neal Schusterman, a powerful story of a boy's plunge into mental illness
Saturday Snapshot - brilliant fall colors lit by the setting sun
Book Lover's Gift Guide - finding the perfect book for everyone on your list!
What are you and your family reading this week?
What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers.