Saturday, July 18, 2015

New Essay Published

Sorry I have been absent from the blog for a while. My dad just passed away this week, and we spent a week by his side in hospice in my hometown (Rochester, NY). I won't be posting here much for another week or so, as we will be traveling a lot and going to the service. My dad fought a brave battle against melanoma, and we are grateful that we had a full year with him after his diagnosis and spent many weekends together. It's still hard to believe he is gone.

On a lighter note, my essay, 5 Things I've Learned From Living with Chronic Illness, was published on Mamalode this month - it describes some of the silver linings of our family's illnesses, a positive view of this crazy life we lead! Hope you will check it out.

I'll be back to blogging regularly when things settle down a bit.

Dad and I dancing at my wedding

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that your dad died. Thank you for sharing that beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice even for those of us who don't have chronic illnesses. Do you mind me asking? Where was your father's melanoma first located? I ask because my brother was just diagnosed with one on his face. It was removed and the doctor wasn't concerned. Which I thought was weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Anne -

      Dad's melanoma started from a good-sized birthmark on his scalp - that's why it wasn't diagnosed until it was already stage 3 (and stage 4 quickly afterward) - it has always been there and was in a spot he couldn't see. It wasn't until it became raised that he felt something different when he brushed his hair.

      Melanoma is a very deadly cancer once it is that far along (stage 3 is in the lymph nodes and stage 4 means it is in other parts of the body). However, it sounds like your brother's was caught very early when it was still stage 1 - at that point, it can be removed completely surgically. He should be careful about sun protection from now on, though, and keep up those dermatologist check-ups (as should we all). Sounds like his is nothing to worry about.

      Sue

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear about your dad's passing. I can't imagine what you're going through, but my prayers thoughts and good vibes are with you!

    ReplyDelete