Monday, January 05, 2015

It's Monday 1/5! What Are You Reading?


Happy New Year!

Ah, first Monday of the new year...my favorite time of year! I love the feeling of a fresh start and a new year. My husband went back to work, my high school son went back to school (after both the holidays and two weeks off due to concussion in December). All that's left is to get my college son back on his feet after mono (and now bronchitis), then my life will return to normal. Normal? What's that??

Reading is one constant in our lives - no matter what else happens, we always have our books for comfort! Here's what we've been reading this past week:
  • I finished Life After Life by Kate Atkinson, a highly-acclaimed novel that I've wanted to read ever since it came out last year. What a way to start the new year! I loved this novel. The unique story - of a woman who keeps dying and being reborn - and the characters completely pulled me in. It was one of those rare books that I couldn't wait to finish to find out what happens but also never wanted it to end. I think it was my favorite book of the past year and in my Top Ten of the decade, too! And I just heard this weekend that a companion novel about Teddy will be released in May - I already told my husband that's what I want for Mother's Day.
  • I read another graphic novel this week, continuing my goal to explore grown-up graphic novels. I read Ghost World by Daniel Clowes, a renowned coming-of-age graphic novel that was made into a movie. It was OK but a bit too teenage angst-y for me. I liked Blankets by Craig Thompson better. My explorations continue!
  • I started Is This Tomorrow by Carolyn Leavitt for one of my book groups this week. I was a little late starting it and worried nothing would be good enough after finishing Life After Life, but it is actually very good, and I am enjoying it so far.
  • My husband, Ken, is reading Stephen King's Just After Sunset, a book of short stories that my Dad lent to him (we are a whole family of readers!).
  • Jamie, 20, still home sick, is reading The Passage by Justin Cronin, a book we have been telling him he'll love for years! We also sent it to my Dad for Christmas, so he and Grandpa are probably reading it at the same time. Jamie is enjoying it so far.
  • Craig, 16, normally doesn't read for pleasure, but the restrictions from his concussion had him turning to audio books last month. His restrictions were mostly lifted last week, but I was pleasantly surprised that he still wanted to listen to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Perhaps something good will come from this concussion!
Big blogging week for me last week, with 5 posts, including 3 reviews:
Review of Blankets by Craig Thompson, a graphic novel for adults

Review of Love From Paddington by Michael Bond, an audio book for children

First Book of the Year 2015!

Review of Hild by Nicola Griffith, a historical novel set in the 600's

Saturday Snapshot, with photos of a lovely hike on a rare warm day

What are you and your family reading this week?    

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, with a kid/teen version hosted by Unleashing Readers.  


Happy New Year!


8 comments:

  1. I can relate to your telling your son for years that he would enjoy a book. I do the same thing for my daughter! She usually likes what I recommend, but she says I talk too much about them and now refuses to read anything I suggest. I'm trying to keep quiet about the books I think she'll love! Life After Life sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha! So funny, Kate - my sons say the same thing. They say I oversell stuff so it turns them off it - but I tell them, if they'd just listen to me, I wouldn't have to oversell! lol

      Guess they need to show their independence!

      Sue

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year! Great picture! Sounds like you've read some good books recently. That's a nice way to start the year. I'll will definitely look into Life After Life. It sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life After Life sounds fascinating. I've seen it around, but I didn't know what it was about. I'm going to have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the above commenters. Life after Life sounds VERY good. I don't own it, so I will have to go for a hunt at my library. Thank you for sharing, Sue! Have a great week, and I hope "normal" returns soon for you. It seems it is just around the bend! Sending warmth your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice that you started off the year with a book you enjoyed. May it be a wonderful year of reading for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year to you, too! I have wanted to read Kate Atkinson's book and now your short summary here has tipped me into thinking it is time for action. I suggested it for a book club choice and I don't remember why it wasn't selected. Hm.m.m.m

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that photo of you. Happy New Year! I've been meaning to read Blankets for the longest time, I'd probably borrow it through interlibrary loan. :)

    ReplyDelete