Monday, January 26, 2015

It's Monday 1/26! What Are You Reading?


I love Monday mornings - the start of a new week and a bit of quiet solitude for me after a busy weekend. I don't think my solitude will last this week, though - there is a big storm headed this way, so it is likely that my high school son will be dismissed early today and have a snow day tomorrow. Ha ha - just after I wrote that line, my son texted me that he's getting out early!

Anyway, we all had a great reading week:
  • I finished The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. I first read it in 1999, and I re-read it as part of The Posionwood Bible Readalong, hosted by Tanya at Mom's Small Victories, as part of her Travel the World in Books Challenge. It was even better the second time around! This is such a clever book, with intricate layers of emotion and meaning. I am really enjoying the online discussion. Definitely still in my Top 5 of all time!
  • I am determined to read more books from my own shelves this year, especially since I realized during a recent bookshelf clean-out how many amazing books are sitting there patiently waiting for me. So, I picked up one of those next: Wool by Hugh Howey. This highly acclaimed post-apocalyptic novel has been recommended by many of my good friends, so I gave it to my husband last Christmas. He also loved it - and now I am finally getting to it! It's excellent already - compelling from the first chapter.
  • I  finished listening to When Marnie Was There by Joan G. Robinson, a novel that was first published in 1967 and is being re-released on audio, in advance of a new Japanese anime movie adaptation. It's about a lonely, withdrawn orphan named Anna who is sent to a seaside town to live with a kind older couple for a few months. While there, wandering among the sand and water, she meets a girl named Marnie and makes her first real friend. I enjoyed it, especially since the story turned out to have more complexity and mystery to it than I expected. Now, I need to choose a new audiobook to start!
  • I am still reading an adult graphic novel, Black Hole by Charles Burns. I'd heard from several sources that this is one weird story, a sort of sci fi, grotesque, Bodysnatchers kind of novel set in 70's Seattle, but I decided to give it a try since it appears on most lists of Best Graphic Novels. Yup, weird doesn't even begin to describe it!
  • My husband, Ken, finished Cockroaches by Jo Nesbo and said, "Another good one." He's not much into discussing what he reads - that's why I'm in 3 book groups!
  • Now, Ken is reading one of his Christmas gifts from me, The Three by Sarah Lotz. This is one that I also want to read when he is finished (the best kind of gifts!).
  • Jamie, 20, home sick from college, finished Enclave by Ann Aguirre, Book 1 of The Razorland Trilogy, a new post-apocalyptic teen/YA series. Another one I want to read!
  • Next, Jamie specifically searched for the best zombie book he could find because he is totally hooked on The Walking Dead TV show. He downloaded The Apocalypse, Book 1 of the Undead World Series, by Peter Meredith. Reviews compared it to The Walking Dead, so he was sold! 
Last week was a good week for writing and catching up for me. Check out these posts and reviews:
Review of Smile by Raina Telgemeier, middle-grade/teen graphic novel

3 Mini Reviews of Audiobooks for Teens/YA, 2 thrillers and 1 realistic fiction

2014 Reading Challenges Wrap-up (finally!)

What are you and your family reading this week?    

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, with a kid/teen version hosted by Unleashing Readers

13 comments:

  1. storms are great for reading, I dont feel like I should be working on something else then :) Have a good week and stay warm and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay warm! I just made it out of Boston ahead of the storm! Whew!

    I loved Wool. I hope you like it too. Unfortunately, I realized I only ever reviewed the first book of it. I had read it separately and then decided to read the entire thing. But I only reviewed that one piece. I need to go back and do a full review!

    I'm going to look into The Razorland Trilogy for my son. He's starting a novel study of The Time Machine at school in February, so he'll need something a bit easier to enjoy at home!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I listened to The Time Machine on audio last summer and enjoyed it! Different than I expected but good. Hope he enjoys it!

      Delete
  3. Sigh, I understand about the husband who doesn't want to talk about books. Mine is like that too, even though he reads more than I do! Glad to hear about When Marnie Was There as I am always on the look out for good audiobooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a gentle, sort of old-fashioned story, Cherlee. Just what I needed after having to set aside a YA novel set in Afghanistan that was just too violent and disturbing for me.

      Delete
  4. It is snowy and cold here in Ohio. :) Hope you weather the storm okay and enjoy your reads this week!

    Brooke at http://www.brookeblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wool is a book that a friend recommended to me years ago, so I really need to get to it at some point. Glad to hear it is good!
    So happy that your son liked Enclave! Is he going to read the sequel? Hope you like it too.
    Be safe in the snow!

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is the sequel out yet, Kellee? Jamie said he just picked up Enclave at B&N last year.

      Wool is great so far!

      Delete
  6. Often, books change their placement in top 20 list after I read them a second time. The fact that this book stood the test of time (and so many years later!) makes it a true great. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you definitely should read it, Ricki - so good and so clever. I also love Kingsolver's The Bean Trees and Pigs in Heaven.

      Sue

      Delete
  7. sandra martin6:54 PM

    Tobacco Road by Erskine Caldwell. Excellent so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of that book, Mom, but never read it myself. I can't wait to hear more about it!

      Delete
  8. I own a copy of The Poisonwood Bible - but haven't gotten around to reading it yet - and you've read it TWICE! Wow. :)

    ReplyDelete