Monday, December 08, 2014

It's Monday 12/8! What Are You Reading?


Another one bites the dust. If you're a frequent visitor to my blog, you may recall that my college son
came home with mono before Thanksgiving. Well, today I have both sons home with me - our youngest got a concussion playing soccer this weekend. Until the test results come back today and his headache goes away, he is on super-restricted duty - no school, no screens, no homework, no sports, no video games. Within an hour of coming back from the clinic yesterday, he was complaining he was bored, so wish me luck today! Since he's well enough to complain and to want to do stuff, we are hoping it's not too serious and he will recover quickly. He is the non-reader in our house (a very good reader just doesn't like to read), but I actually convinced him to listen to an audio book last night, since it was one of the few things he is allowed to do - that's how bored he was!

Here's what he's listening to and the rest of us are reading:
  • I am still reading Hild by Nicola Griffith for my neighborhood book group. It's interesting so far but moving very slowly. It's set in seventh century Britain and includes both a map and a family tree filled with unpronounceable names at the front, plus it uses a lot of Old English words (there's a brief glossary at the back). So, reading is going slowly, as I flip to the front and back every sentence to decipher it! 
  • I am still listening to Us by David Nicholls on audio, the story of a marriage falling apart amidst a family vacation across Europe. It's a wonderful book -warm  and compelling, with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments. I am loving it.
  • I finished a teen/YA graphic novel, Page by Paige by Laura Lee Gullidge. I needed something light to break up my heavy novel. It was excellent - creative, warm, and engaging.
  • My husband, Ken, is still reading The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. This is one of our son's all-time favorites.
  • Jamie, 20, is still reading Midnight Thief by Livia Blackburn. His concentration has been poor due to the illness, but our avid reader is starting to be able to read more, which he's happy about!
  • Craig, 16, is listening to an old family favorite audio book, Looking for Bobowicz by Daniel Pinkwater. if you have kids of any age, you must find a copy of this audio to take on your next car trip (see link below)! It is a light mystery with lots and lots of laughs - plenty of its lines have become favorites at our house. Pinkwater is a genius.
Blog posts from last week:
Review of Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson, a fabulous, award-winning YA memoir

Review of Haunters, a time-travel novel for middle-grade and teen readers

Saturday Snapshot, featuring a few photos from our quiet Thanksgiving week

Weekend Cooking, with my recipe for Sausage & Vegetable Roast Dinner - super easy & delicious

What are you and your family reading this week?    

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, with a kid/teen version hosted by Unleashing Readers.   
 


7 comments:

  1. Happy Holidays and good reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:42 AM

    I really enjoyed Page by Paige as well as Will & Whit. My graphic novel adventure this week was Ms. Marvel. It was fantastic! Have a great week ~Megan
    http://wp.me/zUn5

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope everything goes well for your sons. I enjoyed The Midnight Thief. I have heard great things about The Lies of Locke Lamora and have a copy on my Kindle. I haven't had time to read it yet. Here is my week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always you have an amazing house of readers! SO jealous :) I do not know if you seen my response to your comment about not having a comment button on the Monday post. That whole post has been weird, last night I could not get the header to show up. Other people have been commenting so maybe look again if you have time... I think the post has a poltergeist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man! Your sons have had a rough time recently! I hope everyone is back to normal soon!!!
    I am so glad you liked Page by Paige! You should read Will & Whit, I liked it even better.
    I didn't know that audibook--thank you for sharing!

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had Page by Paige on my list for quite some time! I need to read it. I am sending well wishes to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is so cool that your neighborhood has a book group :) Great way to get to know your neighbors.

    Julie @ velvet-rose.net

    ReplyDelete