Monday, September 30, 2013

It's Monday 9/30! What Are You Reading?


Today is our 24th wedding anniversary! We had another busy week but a nice weekend, and I'm looking forward to our dinner out together tonight. It's especially nice when your kids are old enough that you no longer need a babysitter!

Some good reading at our house last week:
  • I worked steadily on Dreams of My Russian Summers by Andre Makine, but then I wasn't well enough to go to my book group discussion on Wednesday evening (my chronic illness was flared-up). I was about halfway through the novel and enjoying it, but I decided to set it aside and go back to the book I had to set down to read this one! (are you following this?)
  • So, I picked up my Kindle and finished I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. This first memoir by the famed poet just blew me away - it is warm, intelligent, funny, and heart-breaking. I loved it and can't wait to read her other memoirs. I read this book in honor of Banned Books Week.
  • Now, I am reading another book for Banned Books Week, The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chobsky. Another gem! This YA novel is fabulous so far.
  • My husband, Ken, is still reading Time and Again by Jack Finney, a classic time travel novel that I enjoyed.
  • Craig, 15, is still working his way through Beowulf for his British Literature class.
To celebrate Banned Books Week last week, I posted:

An Introduction to Banned Books Week

List of Top 100 Banned/Challenged Books from 2000-2009

Review of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

What are you and your family reading this week?

(What are you reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, with a kid/teen version hosted by Unleashing Readers.)

24 years ago today!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary!! Have a wonderful time tonight and a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! I didn't do anything for Banned Book Week this year, but I'm excited to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete