A few years ago, I came up with the idea to use the relaxed freedom of summer to tackle some of the biggest books on my TBR shelf that I'd been wanting to read but never seemed to have the time for. Both of my book groups take time off during the summer, so with no interfering commitments, I declared it The Summer of the Big Book and really enjoyed delving into some hefty tomes, like The Passage and Pillars of the Earth.
It was so much fun that last year, I created this challenge so that YOU can join me! And here it is Memorial Day weekend again and the official start of summer 2013. So join in on the fun!
Hey, it's summer, so we'll keep this low-key and easy!
- Anything over 400 pages qualifies as a big book.
- The challenge will run from Memorial Day weekend (last weekend in May) through Labor Day weekend (first weekend in September).
- Choose one or two or however many big books you want as your goal. Wait, did you get that? You only need to read 1 book with over 400 pages this summer to participate! (though you are welcome to read more, if you want).
- Choose from what's on your shelves already or a big book you've been meaning to read for ages or anything that catches your eye in the library - whatever peaks your interest!
- Sign up on the links list below or on the Big Book Summer Challenge page.
- Write a post to kick things off - you can list the exact big books
you plan to read or just publish your intent to participate, but be
sure to include the Big Book Summer Challenge pic above, with a link
back to this blog.
- Write a post to wrap up at the end, listing the big books you read during the summer.
- You can write progress posts if you want to and/or reviews of the big books you've read...but you don't have to! There is a separate links list for big book review posts.
(Don't have a blog? No problem! You can still participate in the challenge - just leave a comment in the Comment section, stating your goals for the Big Book Summer Challenge.)
Check out my own list of books to read for the challenge.
Be sure to include a link to your kick off blog post (not your homepage):
Come back to this page during the summer to add a link whenever you review a Big Book or post a progress report: