Monday, December 05, 2011

It's Monday 12/5! What Are You Reading?


We are now in the midst of the busy holiday season!  I haven't even thought much about the holidays yet - other than some online shopping - because it is also college application season.  That has been occupying our time and attention - it's like having an extra full-time job!

We are still squeezing in reading time, though:
  • I finished The Songcatcher by Sharyn McCrumb for my neighborhood book group this week.  It's the story of an old ballad that is passed down through generations of family, from 1700's Scotland to present day Appalachia, including, of course, the stories of those family members.  I enjoyed it very much.
  • I usually read a kid/teen book after an adult one, but I have another book group meeting next week, so I figured I better read that book first.  We are reading She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders by Jennifer Finney Boylan, a memoir about James becoming Jennifer, so I'll start that today.
  • I'm still listening to Breadcrumbs, a wonderful, magical middle-grade novel written by Anne Ursu.
  • My husband, Ken, is reading Stephen King's new release, 11/22/63: A Novel, about someone who time travels back to 1963 to try to prevent Kennedy's assassination.  It's a hefty novel, and he keeps laughing out loud at King's spot-on descriptions of ordinary people (one of his many talents!).
  • Jamie, 17, started a new teen dystopian series by Robin Wasserman, The Cold Awakening trilogy, starting with Book One: Frozen, but he gave up with only 30 pages to go!  He said it's well-written, but he suspects it's meant more for girls, with very little action in the first book.
  • Jamie said he was more in the mood for fantasy than dystopian books, so he switched to an old favorite, The Great Tree of Avalon by T.A. Barron.
  • Jamie is also starting The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga for his World Lit class.  It was hard to find a copy because there's a local book group reading it right now, as well as his entire senior class!
  • Craig, 13, is still enjoying The Last Apprentice series by Joseph Delaney, so he moved onto Book Two: Curse of the Bane this week.
  • Craig has also been reading an excerpt from Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes for his English class - it's one of my favorite books and so sad!
Last week, I posted two reviews: Midwives by Chris Bohjalian and  Goldstrike by Matt Whyman, a teen thriller.  I also posted a summary of my Books Read in November.

What are you and your family reading this week?

(What are you reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.)


5 comments:

  1. Lots of great books being read in your house!

    My husband is also reading 11/22/63 ... he's out of town so I'm not getting the comments/responses you're enjoying with your husband's reading

    BREADCRUMBS is on my list of MG to read; it's gotten such great reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn -

    Breadcrumbs is good so far. Anne Ursu is an online friend of mine - I've enjoyed all of her novels, especially her middle-grade trilogy, The Cronus Chronicles.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had considered getting Breadcrumbs for my goddaughter for Christmas but went with another book instead. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it when you finish. I'm curious as to what age you think it would be good for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie -

    That's funny - I just bought a copy of Breadcrumbs for my niece!! She will be 10 in February, and is a very good reader. The main character is 10, so I thought it would be appropriate - it's a nice combination of realistic fiction plus magic.

    Don't you love giving books as gifts??

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love to laugh at Stephen King's way of describing quirky people :D 11/22/63 is at the top of my Xmas wish list and I'm reading Bag of Bones now, which like his latest is being reviewed, atypical of his usual horror stories. Have a great reading week :)

    ReplyDelete