Monday, September 12, 2011

It's Monday 9/12! What Are You Reading?

Huh?  What?  Oh, it's Monday?  Ooops!  I had a terrible time sleeping last night (what my husband and I call the Sunday Night Spins, when all the stuff you need to do Monday morning spins around in your head Sunday night).  So, I did know it was Monday today but totally forgot about my usual Monday blog posts!  That gives you some idea of how insanely busy this week is shaping up to be.

So, without further ado, here's what we've been reading this week:
  • Yes, I am still reading Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.  That was probably part of my problem last night - I kept the light on much too late reading!  This book is so compelling and well-written - just as gripping as Follett's thrillers.  I only have 300 pages left!
  • I finished an audio book, Sometimes you Feel Like a Nut, a memoir by Jill Kargman that was sometimes hilarious and sometimes just cringe-worthy.  I hope to find time to write a review this week (we'll see!).
  • I started a new audio, a teen/YA novel, Bruiser, by one of my favorite YA authors, Neal Schusterman.  So far, so good!
  • My husband, Ken, re-read his #1 all-time favorite novel, Dune by Frank Herbert, in record time!  Still his favorite.  He's looking forward to reading some of its sequels next.
  • But first, Ken chose an "airplane novel" for today since he's traveling, a small paperback by Ed McBain - sorry, I didn't catch the title before he left.  He also wants to read The Passage, but that is definitely NOT an airplane book!
  • Jamie, 17, re-read  the first two books in a favorite series by Tamora Pierce, The Immortals, beginning with Book 1, Wild Magic, and Book 2, Wolf Speaker.  Then, he had to take a break from that series because we no longer have Book 3 (we received a review copy years ago that was put together wrong and missing a bunch of pages!).
  • So, Jamie switched gears to another old favorite series, The Farsala Trilogy by Hilari Bell.  He read Books 2 and 3: Rise of a Hero and Forging the Sword.  This is one of his all-time favorites.  He made a trip to Barnes & Noble yesterday to use some birthday credits and spend his allowance, so he is well stocked up, for at least the next few weeks.
  • Craig, 13, is thoroughly enjoying The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman.  Now that he has to spend some time reading each day for school, he said to Jamie and I yesterday, "Wow!  This book is really good now that I'm further into it."  We said, "That's what we've been trying to tell you all summer!"  He even asked to read for more time at bedtime last night.  I'll have to remember that he does best with books that jump right into the action.
I did manage some blogging last week.  I posted a review of Wally Lamb's The Hour I First Believed here and a review of the creepy teen/YA novel Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann at Great Books for Kids and Teens.  I also posted lists of Top Ten Sequels I'm Dying to Read and Top Ten Kid/Teen Sequels We're Dying to Read, plus a summary of what I read in August.

What are you and your family reading this week?

(What are you reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.)

4 comments:

  1. Glad the Follett's working for distraction but I hope you get some sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, pillars of the earth! i started that one for a book club, but we never finished. i loved what i read though, and i get how it could keep you up late into the night. maybe i should take another crack at it on my own... =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really need to read Dune. I have heard its fabulous and I am going through a bit of a sci-fi kick at the moment. I think its a really underreated genre

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to know that I am not the only person who gets stuck in books for weeks.

    Check out my BBAW post. I gave you a shout out!

    -Anne
    My Head is Full of Books

    ReplyDelete