Monday, June 01, 2009

It's Monday, 6/1! What Are You Reading?


Can it really be June already? Wow. My kids finish school this week and next. Then, we have no more early mornings or rushed evenings...but I'll also have less quiet time to write! Things are very busy around here now, with all the end-of-the school year stuff, end-of-soccer stuff, plus getting ready for our annual summer road trip.

My reading week was similarly hectic:
  • I got about a third of the way through Gone Tomorrow by P.F. Kluge and was enjoying it when I got a notice from the library that my next book group selection was in. I'm a linear reader and like to read one book at a time, straight through, but with less than a week before book group, I had to put this novel down and pick up...
  • A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton. I got about 10 pages into this book when I realized I'd read it before! Unfortunately, I don't remember how it ends, so I'm reading it again. That's one of the benefits of getting older and losing your mind - everything old is new again! Anyone else ever do this? My husband and I do the same thing with movies - we're not sure whether we've seen something before until we get to the end. Then we say, "oh, yeah, we DID see it before!" The strange thing is that I didn't think I liked the book that much the first time through, but I'm having trouble putting it down. It is quite dark and pessimistic (which is probably what I didn't like), but it's also a very compelling story.
What are YOU reading this week?

8 comments:

  1. I want Harry Potter to be new again for me. ;) Sadly, that will likely never happen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read either of those books, but Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:47 AM

    At least you were only ten pages in. This happened to me before only I thought I'd read a book that was similar. I was so upset that the author would copy another until I got to the end. Not only had I read the book before, I'd seen the movie...lol! Talk about feeling like an idiot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post made me lol. Have a good week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL that happens to me with movies all the time, not quite so much with books thank goodness.
    Have a great reading week.
    Here's my post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sue,
    It's been so long since I've checked in to my bloglines. We're still in AZ and it's been a little crazy, plus the three of us are sharing one computer.
    I read Saville, David Storey - and enjoyed that quiet read in May. Now I'm reading Gone With the Wind - for the first time, I'm sad to say. I'm having such a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Sherry -

    Great to hear from you! I've been following Erin's blog - glad things are going well in AZ.

    I've never read Gone with the Wind, either - sounds like a great summer read!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete